Saturday, May 4, 2013

Three Viewings


I think an important linking factor in Three Viewings is the obviously the funeral, but also the fact that they all three never got to say goodbye or tell them what they wanted to tell them. (Although we aren't supposed to put the “rules” of our world in a play because it’s its own small planet) That is something a lot of people think/worry about. What if I don’t get to say goodbye? I didn't get to tell ____ how I really felt. And these aren't just questions for death; they’re questions for loss in general. A lot of books, art, movies, etc, are created about these questions and they’re very prevalent in our society I’d say. So I think that’s something that connects these monologues. Not the death, but the loss and the inability to cope with the fact that they didn't get to say goodbye, and what comes after the loss.
There’s also the connection of the Green Mill. It’s like in the movies with the ridiculous story line and a bunch of famous people and somehow all the stories are connected. That part of those movies always interests me because the world is such a small place and we make all these connections we don’t really even know about. Seven degrees from Kevin Bacon, anyone? Anyways, these three people could have all been at the Green Mill at one point together, they could have even smiled in passing or bumped into each other and not given it a second thought, but Hatcher tells their story and we see that they are connected in their loss and they don’t even know it. I love stories like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment