Saturday, April 13, 2013

Glass of Water


The question of the Protagonist in Glass of Water is a difficult one to answer. It seems at first that Abigail and Masham's story is most prevalent, but soon you see that all the characters stories revolve around one man, Bolingbroke. Bolingbroke has his own motives for everything he helps with and in the end he gets exactly what he wants while ensuring that Masham and Abigail get what they want as well. Bolingbroke is in the center of the Duchess and the Queen’s relationship, the Duchess and Masham’s relationship, the Duchess and Abigail’s relationship, Abigail and Masham’s relationship, and the Queen and Masham’s relationship. He uses all these couples to needle his way into different places so he can be at the right place at the right time. So even when he isn’t on stage, there is either a letter from him, an idea that he planted, or they are expecting him.
            I wouldn’t necessarily say that he is the one Scribe wants the audience to root for the most though. I was rooting for Masham and Abigail (hopeless romantic, I guess, ugh), but for others you certainly aren’t rooting for the Queen, because her character has no gumption or standing, she just sways whichever way the wind is most favorable. The Duchess is also not a favorable character because she is so selfish in her ways. Bolingbroke can also seem selfish at times, but he does still assure Abigail and Masham’s marriage so in a way, you’re rooting for Bolingbroke the entire time because (if) you’re rooting for A and M. Oh, and also peace in England, that’s important. So I take back my first statement, you are rooting for Bolingbroke because he is the only one looking out for more than just himself. 

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with you that Bolingbroke is a central connecting figure, but I don't think he is the protagonist. Honestly, I don't really think there is one. This is a play that is just kinda branched out. It is satisfying, but I never could pick a central protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Bolingbroke is important in terms of plot, and he is definitely the most selfless character. I also agree that Abigail and Masham are the ones we want to root for most. Especially Abigail, because she is the underdog. I do not think I would pick Bolingbroke as the protagonist though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also felt that Bolingbroke was the protagonist of a Glass of Water even though Abigal and Masham’s story is the most prevalent. While Bolingbroke is the ultimate manipulator, he is also attempting to help his friends obtain their goals and desires. I also noted that there was a love-hate relationship between the Duchess and Bolingbroke. The author used this relationship to draw the audience into rooting for Bolingbroke. The Queen’s indifference enabled Bolingbroke to further his ideas and allowed him to manipulate the characters.

    ReplyDelete